Monday, September 25, 2006

Inexpensive and Fun Birthday Party

This past weekend I had a birthday party for my six year old. I was tired of spending $100's of dollars for these parties so I decided to make it simple this year. We had the event at a local playground/park and invited several families from the neighborhood. There was a nice shelter with picnic tables, a playgound and some soccer fields.

Before everyone arrived, I had set up an area with drinks and snacks. At the beginning of the party the kids played on the playground and the adults enjoyed the snacks. After about 45 minutes, we played a game of kickball. While that was occurring, my husband ordered pizzas. As our game was finishing, the pizzas arrived.

Once dinner was over, we had a family soccer game. After that, it was time for cake and opening the presents. I decided not to provide party bags this year for two reasons. First, it can get pretty expensive. Secondly, I dislike the unhealthy food items and inexpensive toys that fill these bags. As a parent, I don't appreciate my children coming home with these gift bags; therefore, I won't be giving these out anymore. When I added up the cost of the party, I spent just over $100.00.

The party went well for several reasons. I think everyone had a good time because there was something for everyone to do, the party was inexpensive and the cleanup was easy. After the party, my son thanked us and told us he wanted to have all of his birthday parties at the park. My older son was also excited and told us he wanted to have a flag football birthday party at the same place.

No comments: